Monday, April 30, 2012

More Three Wheelers - scooter engines

Hey how about that, I was right, that last blog wasn't the last one about motorcycles. How did that happen?

When I see a threewheeler around Taiwan I can usually recognize what motorcycle engine is being used. The engine is usually a well exposed Kawasaki.


but in Taipei, where it rains a lot compared to Tainan, the engine is usually covered.


But previously when I could see the engine, I had a problem identifying the engine..

http://mikeess-trip.blogspot.com/2011/05/motorcycles-in-tainan-three-wheelers.html

there was a funny looking engine that didn't look like any mototcycle engine I had seen before.

I ran into the same problem recently, I couldn't figure out what was the motorcycle engine in this threewheeler.




pondering the situation for awhile, I finally figured it out. The engine is actually a scooter engine, and the scooter engine is upside down with the exhaust pipe now on top. I suppose it's not such a stretch, as there are plenty of scooter engines available and if your going to retro fit you can be flexible.

So the frames of the three wheelers have out lasted the old motorcycle engines and now incorporate the scooter engines. Ingenuity wins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment