Thursday, April 12, 2012

Mannequins

In Taipei there are plenty high class and ordinary clothing stores that use mannequins to display their fashions. But I've never seen mannequins with Asian features. Sometimes the mannequins are just headless.
Some people say that it is because the Western face is the face of beauty. But I would say the majority of the mannequins in Taipei are  these faceless models.
 In Taipei, Western looking mannequins are easy to find.
I think the explanation is more complicated. All Asians do NOT look alike, and to choose a "model" Asian would exclude other Asians. No one interested in doing business is willing to exclude potential customers, so it's easier to use, no head, or faceless or Westerners as the model so as not to exclude potential customers.

This is the closest I have seen to be Asians as mannequins.
Of course kids don't count but these kids are Westerners.
I hope they sell some of those hats and take a load off.

No comments:

Post a Comment