Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Customs

There are some customs in Taiwan that are in transition. But like any island there have been forces and immigrations pushing Taiwan in different directions. Like most Chinese cultures, the attitude towards women are protective and confining. Like this:
But at the same time there are plenty of sex shops and prostitution is legal.

http://mikeintaipei.blogspot.com/2012/03/sex-stores.html

But I liked this store, they don't just sell "sex toys" but "sex tools"! I like tools but I didn't go in and check out the tools.

Taiwanese seem so hard headed about prices, efficiency, recycling, saving, ...
it always strikes me as strange that they can be so superstitious. But fengshui,
fortune tellers, divination, ... are all big. For a mathematician, I always cringe when I see numerology stuff.
How about the medicinal value of magnets.
Sports are not big in Taiwan(not like in the US), so I was surprise with this announcement of city wide competition. (In Taiwan, I thought sports was just a distraction from the real business of education: preparing for tests.)
Some Taiwanese say that Bing Lang is part of Taiwanese culture, but that's crap.

http://tainanchineseclass.blogspot.com/2010/02/bing-lang.html

Like many cultures, women marry into other families so when the inheritance is divided up it just goes to the males in the family. But this tradition is changing in Taiwan, and women are now included in the inheritance. But there is a further twist on this old tradition in old Taiwan. Not only did the sons get an equal share but also the son of the oldest son(a grandson) also would get an equal share. (As the oldest son of the oldest son, I believe this is an excellent custom.)



No comments:

Post a Comment